Welcome to our County & District Cricket Page
Welcome to the section dedicated to the Shropshire Cricket Board district/development and county squads. The county offers high quality coaching and winter development to players aged from under 10 to under 17 to support these squads before the competitive seasons begins in the summer.
In 2011, the SCB ran:
• Twelve district squads (u10, u11 and u13, four areas per age group)
• Nine county squads (u10, u11, u12, u13, u14, u15 and u17 boys and
u13 and u15/17 girls) • Two development squads (u13 girls and u15 boys)
• One emerging player programme
Approximately 380 players received coaching over the winter programmes from coaches with a minimum qualification of UKCC2. These players were selected following the winter trial process where over 700 young cricketers attended. We can proudly say that the number of young players involved in the overall programme is increasing year on year with more players receiving high quality, structured coaching in Shropshire than ever before. As a result of this, the SCB has created a player pathway which clearly shows how players can progress into and through our coaching system with the ultimate aim being to provide players who can succeed in first class cricket.
More stats and news for Shropshire Cricket Board on Play-Cricket.com
Please contact Chris Dirkin (pictured above), for more information relating to County & District cricket within Shropshire.
Contact Chris Dirkin for further information: 01952 265676 | Email Chris
Representative Teams - Boys & Girls' County Age Group
Listed below, are links to the boys and girls' county age group teams currently running in Shropshire. By clicking on the appropriate link, you will be presented with a gallery of associated photographs, team fixtures and lists including coaches and managers.
Representative Teams - District Teams
Listed below, are links to the district cricket teams, currently running in Shropshire. By clicking on the appropriate link, you will be presented with a gallery of associated photographs, team fixtures and lists including coaches and managers.
Shropshire's Junior Cricket Programme
A number of players who have progressed through Shropshire's junior cricket program have gone on to succeed in first class cricket, second XI and university centres of cricket excellence. In recent years, notable names include:
• Nick Clewley (Northamptonshire and Warwickshire CCC)
• Matthew Tilt (Surrey 2nd XI, Loughborough UCCE)
• Adam Shantry (Northamptonshire, Warwickshire and Glamorgan CCC)
• Ed Foster (Leicestershire and Worcestershire CCC, Loughborough UCCE and now Shropshire CCC captain)
• Steve Taylor (Warwickshire CCC)
• Rob Foster (Cardiff UCCE)
• James Taylor (England Lions and Leicestershire CCC)
• Daniel Redfern (England u19 and Derbyshire CCC)
• Michael Barnard (Oxford UCCE)
• Joe Leach (Worcestershire 2nd XI)
• Jack Edwards (Worcestershire 2nd XI)
• Evelyn Jones (Oxford UCCE)
SCB Winter Trials
In order to maintain the number of players progressing through the system and to provide development opportunities for those who show promise, the SCB runs winter trials before the squads are selected. Those eligible for trials for Shropshire Cricket Board youth teams are:
• Players who play for a Shropshire based cricket club • Players who go to school in Shropshire • Players who live in Shropshire. Nomination forms for the 2011 winter trials can be found in the Download section of this page. - (TOP)
SCB Winter Training Squads
Winter training squads usually commence in the first few weeks of January. The purpose of these squads is to develop players holistically as cricketers, to improve skills that already exist and develop new skills that will allow them to compete to a higher standard.
Programmes usually consist of 10-12 sessions (dependant on which squad) lasting 2 hours. Sessions will be broken down into warm-up followed by a number of activities designed to improve fundamental skills as well as technical, tactical and physical skills involved in playing cricket. Squad members will benefit from the presence of highly qualified coaches who will be able to provide effective technical feedback to support their development as all-round players. - (TOP)
Download Files For...
County & District
Download Info: Click any file Title above, to view that PDF document in a new browser window. Alternatively, right click the file Title and choose 'Save Link As' from the menu.
Adobe Acrobat Reader is a free download used for reading Adobe PDF files. Most computers are sold with this reader pre-installed. If you are unsure, download for free from Adobe.